A mobility scooter is an electrically-powered chair that is on wheels (typically 3 or 4 wheels). They have a steering wheel or handle and many of them are accessorized with baskets. They assist those with walking disabilities, and enable them to get around faster and with ease, especially aiding the older generation.
Mobility scooters are becoming an increasingly popular mobility device and are a common sight on many streets. Mobility scooters can be hired in some large supermarkets, in shopping centers, at visitor centers, and are widely available for purchase.
If you have chosen to purchase a mobility scooter for yourself, or for someone else who has difficulty walking and could benefit from one of these mobility devices, then you will find yourself spoilt for choice as you explore a wide range of makes and models, all varying in power, weight accommodation, price, accessories, and comfort.
You may find yourself torn between a three-wheel and four-wheel mobility scooter. They can be purchased online or in certain stores; it is all about finding the right mobility scooter that best suits you and your requirements.
We have chosen three mobility scooters to review for you.
Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 4 Wheel
If you are looking for a scooter that offers ease in transportation, looks good, and offers a lot more than just practical and easy mobility, then you will enjoy the modern functionality of the Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter. Its four wheels will keep you balanced and grounded, and you will feel comfortable at all times as you adjust the scooter to suit your body’s needs.
- Delta tiller is easy to adjust.
- Quick and easy disassembly.
- Height-adjustable swivel seat with fold-down backrest.
- The armrests are padded and adjustable.
- Comes with a large, plastic carry basket.
- Ergonomic throttle control.
- Four wheels.
- Flat-free, non-marking tires with anti-tip wheels.
- Weight capacity: 300 lbs.
- Maximum range: 9 miles
- Seat Width: 16.5”
- This Scout scooter is easy to transport because it is lightweight, compact, and easy to disassemble into five manageable pieces. This scooter is ideal for daily use and for any travel that requires it to be transported by vehicle. If you know that you will not be using it for some time, you can easily disassemble and reassemble the scooter for easy storage too. Its easy transportation and lightweight nature makes it ideal for anyone of any age.
- This scooter has four wheels that offer enhanced stability on some rugged terrain, and improved balance.
- The technologically-advanced quick-connect battery pack and a delta-shaped steering handle ensure smooth operation of this scooter, even with limited strength and dexterity.
- The Scout scooter not only offers a great ergonomic design, but also it looks great. This model comes with stylish, interchangeable color-through panels (in both blue and red). These panels also act as a protective layer against potential scuffs and rim scratches.
- This scooter is adjustable to suit your body’s needs and thus offers the best in individual comfort. The seat is height adjustable and has a flip back. The padded arms are also adjustable to best suit you.
- A large carry basket comes with this scooter, so if you have shopping bags to carry, you can pop them into this basket and free your hands for safe traveling and steering.
- The one small issue that was picked up is that upon first assembly, there is some confusion surrounding the instruction manual and its omitted step on unlocking the wheels; the guide does not illustrate how to unlock the wheels.
- It is advisable that this scooter is not used in snowy areas as navigation is extremely difficult and the guide warns against getting this scooter wet. Should your scooter get wet, then you need to dry it off as soon as possible.
Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 3 Wheel
The three-wheel Scout scooter is similar to the four-wheel Scout scooter, with the obvious difference in that it only has three wheels. The ergonomic structure remains the same, and the overall quality stays true to the brand. The pricing is not even that different; you will only pay a few extra dollars for the three-wheel version. It all comes to down to your preference of having three wheels or four wheels.
- Interchangeable color panels that are available in red or blue.
- Flat free, non-marking tires and anti-tip wheels.
- Has a large, plastic carry basket.
- Ergonomic throttle control with easy freewheel operation.
- Three wheels.
- Padded and adjustable armrests.
- Height adjustable swivel seat with fold-down backrest.
- Easy disassembly.
- Quick connect battery pack.
- Delta-shaped steering handle.
- The three-wheel version of this Scout mobility scooter model is especially designed for nimbly navigating indoor layouts with safety and ease. This smaller scooter with its three wheels allows you to move easily within indoor venues, especially those with aisles and more crowded areas. Shopping in supermarkets becomes a dream with this scooter as you move with ease between small aisles and around corners. Once you have finished shopping, you can pack your shopping bags into the large basket that is attached to the scooter; safety comes first allowing your hands and body to be free to steer the scooter.
- Mobility scooters are commonly used by the elderly and by those with a troubled ability to walk. Being lightweight and easy to transport makes the Scout three-wheel scooter ideal for the elderly to transport safely and on their own. The scooter can be disassembled into five manageable parts, making it ideal for daily use and for travel by vehicle.
- Taking care of the overall appearance of this Scout three-wheel scooter is a dream with its interchangeable color-through panels that come in blue and red. They double up as a protective layer against any rim scratches and potential scuffs. Not only is the scooter modern and stylish, but also maintaining its overall appearance has really been thought through by the brand.
- Comfort is not compromised with the ergonomic features of this scooter; they go hand in hand. The armrests are padded and they are easily adjustable to suit your body. Comfort is also a major focus in the seat itself, which is a swivel seat with a fold-down backrest. The delta tiller is easily adjustable, and the ergonomic throttle control allows for easy freewheel operation. It does not matter how old you are, this scooter is suitable for everyone.
- If you live in city that has snow, then this scooter may not be ideal for you. Mobility will be extremely difficult through snowy terrain and the instructional guide advises against getting this scooter wet; it has to be dried as quickly as possible if it does become wet.
- The three-wheel Scout scooter encompasses the same features as its four-wheel counterpart; the only difference is the number of wheels and the use for a four wheel and three-wheel version. If you are going to be using your mobility scooter mostly indoors, through shopping malls, and in smaller spaces, then for just a few extra dollars it would be well worth it to invest in the three-wheel version. Getting out the door with the three-wheel Scout scooter is quick and easy with its technologically-advanced quick-connect battery pack.
Shoprider Scootie 3 Wheel Compact Scooter
This is another 3-wheel scooter that is worthy of your attention. Shoprider Scootie 3 Wheel Compact Scooter, in fact, sets a whole new standard when it comes to moving around in shopping malls and other indoor places. Although it has only 3 wheels, it provides you with 4-wheel stability, thanks to its patented technology. What’s more? It does not even cost you more than other competitors in the market.
- Adjustable length.
- Can be folded down for easy transport.
- Patented front wheels.
- Excellent weight capacity of 250 pounds.
- Removable batteries.
- Adjustable arms.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble.
- If you want to feel the stability of four wheels with a 3-wheel scooter, then this is the product for you. Its easy assembly and disassembly make it an ideal scooter for transport. It fits very well in the back of your vehicle and can be transported anywhere without any issues.
- Its tight turning radius makes it ideal for compact spaces. It is a user-friendly scooter that is good even for people who live in small mobile homes.
- Its adjustable height and length makes it perfect for people with different body shapes and compositions. Its light weight makes it ideal to transport wherever you go.
- The basket that comes with this scooter becomes handy while you are shopping around in a store or mall. You can store many items in the basket while shopping and it’s easy to unload the items as well.
- Its excellent maneuverability makes it ideal for backing up and going downhill. Riding on carpets and smooth asphalt becomes more fun with this scooter.
- The speed of this scooter is just right for a safe and smooth ride. You just have to make sure that you slow down when you are inside the store or while you are turning on sidewalks.
- It is pretty sturdy for its light weight. It does not break down easily and can be ridden outdoors as well. You just have to make sure that you ride it on paved surfaces.
- Although this scooter claims to serve people of different body shapes, it might not be a good ride for big people. Its weight capacity only suits people with small body build and short height.
- Its tires get bumpy on rough or rugged surfaces and it can really become uncomfortable to ride this scooter.
- The outer shell is made of cheap plastic therefore is prone to breakage. You really need to be careful with that.
- Foot rest is very small even for short people. Therefore, it becomes uncomfortable to ride this scooter for a longer period of time.
If you want the comfort of 4-wheel scooter that also comes with easy transportation, then Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 4 Wheel is your best option. The four wheels of this Scout scooter will get you from point A to point B in style and comfort, while overcoming any rugged terrain and remaining stable.
The large, plastic basket will accommodate any of your shopping, leaving your hands free to easily steer and control the freewheel operation. You will not be disappointed with this scooter, and purchasing this Scout scooter will certainly be a long-term investment in your quick, stylish, and easy mobility.
On the other hand, if you prefer a 3-wheel scooter that promises an ergonomic structure and is offered by the same trustworthy brand, then Drive Medical Scout Compact Travel Power Scooter, 3 Wheel will be a good choice for you. Its interchangeable color panels make this ride even more attractive to the lovers of aesthetics.
Its flat-free, non-marking tires are perfect for any kind of surface. Padded armrests and adjustable height make it even more comfortable. You will have no issue with its assembly and disassembly as well because it is a breeze to handle this scooter. This scooter is perfect for indoor use.
Last but not the least, the Shoprider Scootie 3 Wheel Compact Scooter provides you the comfort and stability of a 4-wheel scooter with a 3-wheel structure. It is very easy to transport this scooter from point A to point B because it can be easily folded down. Its patented front wheels give you great stability.
It is a very comfortable scooter that comes with adjustable arms and length, making it perfect for different body shapes. You can even easily ride this scooter outdoors. You just have to make sure that the surface is paved and well leveled.
We hope that this article will help you in your hunt for a great scooter and you will make the right choice for your particular needs.